Friday, May 17, 2013

Tales of Friends, Impressions and Dancing

While I was driving to or from work yesterday, the radio DJ read a quote from C.S. Lewis about friendship. The quote was:

“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” -C.S. Lewis

OK, after having read that, tell me that this quote doesn't ring true!  How many times are connections won between two people based on a similarity in action, hobby, upbringing or a myriad of other things.  I came across this not too long ago at work.

If you know me personally, I love doing impressions, no matter how horrible they are!  Furthermore, if you know me personally, you know that there are several characters on MadTV or +Saturday Night Live that I have come to perform to a T.  I can't remember the context that it came up at work, but I began doing these impressions with those people who sit in my area.

A woman across from my desk then said something that shocked me.  She all of a sudden said "Base-a-ball has been betty, betty good to me!" (phonetically speaking, of course)  I looked at her and said it back to her.  Apparently, both our families had said this growing up.  Her words, if not verbatim, were that she thought her family was the only one to say that phrase.  (By the way, everything I am reading cites Chico Escuela for saying this.)  We immediately began wondering if we were somehow related, distant cousins or something similar.

Is it not humorous that when we meet someone who has done the same, silly thing we use to do, that we associate that with somehow being related?  Me and this same co-worker also discovered our affinity for dancing around the house, no holds barred, having a great time.  And let me tell you, my sisters share this same pleasure with me as well!  One morning, after my fiance had witnessed me and my middle sister dancing around my parents' house, I told him I couldn't dance around the house with him there as it would be too weird and he would judge me.  After a slight pause, I asked him if he would or what his response would be?  His response?
"How would that be different from any other day?"

OK, it may sound like a cut-down but if you know me, you know that I thrive off of being absurd and fun, being silly and trying to feel carefree.  I say try because I am also an immense worry wart.  The truth is, I am weird, strange, bizarre and love being silly and I do not wish to change this for anything or anyone.  I may turn it down at work or at other otherwise inappropriate places, but whenever I am comfortable, I feel as though the world is my stage, much as Shakespeare conceived.  The fact that my fiance acknowledges that this is a part of who I am is a compliment to me.

At the same time that we see kindred spirits in those around us, we have to know when to excuse someone from our lives as well.  One of the hardest lessons my mom tried to teach me was to get rid of the negative energy that may surround me or be carried to me by other people.  I really had to do some introspection and cleanse my life.  Let me tell you, when that negative influence was gone, I felt lighter.  I still feel lighter!  We won't be able to completely expunge ourselves of negative energy or people but the more we can dismiss, the lighter the load we carry through our lives.  Because at that point, we are only carrying our load and no one else's.

Well, it is a beautiful day today.  I have work to go to and then home again, home again, jiggity jig!  Tomorrow, my fiance and I are traveling to Tennessee in order to see his son play in a ball game!  Very excited to celebrate such a moment with my future stepson!  So as was said by my dad, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise!"


No comments:

Post a Comment