Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Celebrating Life One Meal at a Time

My family got to have breakfast
with Pooh and friends when
we were at +Disney World 
This morning, my late morning during this week, I woke up leisurely.  Meanwhile, I could hear my fiance rushing around the apartment, getting ready to leave.  In typical fashion, we always joke about how I get to sleep in and he has to go work.  Imagine how he feels when I don't have to be at work until noon for all week long.  But where something seems beneficial, there is always a trade-off.  I don't get home until 10 PM with the drive.  And tomorrow I am back up in the morning hours to live at 8 AM.

This morning, I wandered around the apartment, pondering what I might make.  I settled on trying to make a poached egg, as we only had one egg, and to have it on toast.  When I sat down with my plate and coffee at my side, I recall how meals have marked milestones in my life.  First of all, breakfast, while the most important meal, is just about my favorite meal.  I also love what a meal represents which is the family togetherness and taking time to share what you have.

I remember meals like dinners after my graduation from school, eating when we first arrive in Dublin airport with my uncles meeting us at the gates.  I recall the first meal in Estonia with the wonderful use of herbs, especially with dill.  I recall the farewell meal we had in Lithuania, set out on the water before we flew away from a trip most people would love to have the chance to take.  I recall meals my fiance and I had on birthdays, with our families together.

I remember the +Dublin Airport well.
I think fondly of these meals for a multitude of reasons.  It could be because of the occasion it marked, celebrating the success that had been achieved.  Perhaps it was the location I got to indulge, almost feeling surreal in where I am getting to eat.  I think the most important reason why I remember meals is because of the people I enjoy and shared the meals with.

As we come into the summer months, there are several memorable meals coming up.  Memorial day is this upcoming Monday (unfortunately, I will be working) and July 4th, as well as pool parties, barbecues, cook outs and ballgames to attend.  The thing to remember is that the occasion isn't what makes a meal important or memorable.  It's the people you are with and the company you may be celebrating.  Even just making up an excuse to celebrate something can make a meal memorable.  This summer, I will more than likely been celebrating aspects of my upcoming nuptials, as well as family birthdays, fiance's birthday and other holidays.  Make every meal a memory and every day something to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment