Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pushing the Boundaries

Why is it that you look both ways before crossing the street?  Or you don't steal?  It's against the "rules" right?  Well, the latter is against the law, but we were all raised with knowing certain rules or how to behave. And whether we acknowledge it or not, these "rules" govern all aspects of our lives in both big and small ways.

Why do I bring this up?  Well, yesterday, I came across a pair of shoes that I thought were just beautiful.  I have a color block dress with the same color and the shoes would have created the perfect pop of color.  I had a girly moment and posted it to Facebook, pleading all my to grant me reprieve for being stereotypical.  I suggested pairing it with the dress, yes, but also with black tights, even though the shoe is open toe.  I got a comment back from one of my friends which told me, "You can't wear tights with open toe shoes."

Why, may I ask?  I am not under the public eye for scrutiny so no chance of ending on a "worse dressed list."  I responded with the well known, "Rules are made to be broken."  Out of curiosity, I just did a +Google search for "tights and open toe shoes" and what popped up but image and image of women wearing tights and open toe shoes.  Therefore, I am not the first to have this inclination.

Furthermore, fashion is all about you and your comfort.  Listen to me, ladies!  If you want to rock an outfit and it may not be wildly popular by your friends, they don't matter.  Fashion is all about having the confidence to walk into a room and feeling comfortable in your own skin.  If you simply dress to impress and not for yourself, you lose what is so important to fashion which is your identity, your sense of style.  Now, I am not advocating for going against a dress code or breaking laws.  Simply, if you have a safe way to express yourself that will not endanger yourself, others or get anyone into trouble, then go for it!

We cannot live to please others because in that, we lose ourselves.  This goes for everyone, man, woman and child.  If all we do is work to make others happy and not be happy ourselves, you lose our path and who we are.  In high school, I read The Power of Myth, a book by Joseph Campbell.  In this book, he converses across many topics that span the passage of time.  But one thing that I remember the most clearly is "Follow your bliss."  I try to carry this with me daily.  To follow your bliss is to move towards what drives you, what you are passionate about and not losing who you are as a person.

With that, I leave you!  Yes, I know it is a short entry today.  Lately, inspiration has not struck me as readily as I am accustomed.  Hopefully this will change!

No comments:

Post a Comment