Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Landmark Numbers and Everyday Heroes

Wow!  I can't believe we are here already!!
First of all, a hearty and big THANK YOU to all of you reading this post!  When I opened my blog this morning, I found I had reached 1000 page views!  It seems like a few weeks ago when I had gotten to 100. It may not seem like much to be excited about but the fact is that you are reading what I have to say and it makes me want to write more.  So thank you.  Also, I encourage you please, if you have ideas or something you want me to write about, send me the suggestion!  I am open to inspiration, no matter the source!

Now, on to today's topic...

It is a tragic and unfortunately, common occurrence in our society today.  Kidnapping.  A crime that makes us all scared and uncomfortable to sleep in our own beds.  The thought that people, strangers, have gotten so brazen to take children out of their beds or front yards in daylight shakes us all to our core.  The fact that parents can kidnap their own child's lives, innocence or dignity scares us as well.  But it is nice to know that even in the midst of darkness, the glimmer of Hope continues to shine forth through the murk.

Recently, three women were rescued from having being kidnapped and presumed dead over the course of ten years, in Cleveland.  The man who reported the discovery of one of the women, Charles Ramsey, made the frantic phone call.  In his interviews, he has shared that the man who kidnapped these women was someone he frequently barbecued with, with whom he talked and quoted him as being someone you wouldn't look twice due to appearance or manner.  But this cordial man had been harboring three women, committing a crime that parents hope they never, ever have to face.

This morning, before I came to write my blog, I was skimming through Facebook and saw a picture of the man with a quote: "I get a paycheck, give the reward to the rescued women."  I read through the caption underneath the picture and admired what he said.  The reasoning?  He said he was just doing the right thing and that doesn't make him a hero.  With doing the right thing, he doesn't deserve a reward.  Instead, give it to the women so they can begin their lives outside of captivity.  From this, how can we define what a hero is  Is doing the right thing being a hero?  Or are heroes the thing of fiction and everyone else is just trying to get by?

Too often, I think that we do things in life, not because it is the right thing but because we think we may get something out of it.  I am guilty of it too.  I may not expect an immediate reward but I often think of it a karma.  OK, I say to myself, if I do this, then eventually someone will help me or something good will happen for me.  Do I always associate my positive energy with something I did in the past?  No!  Perfect example: before I moved in with my fiance, I would drive up every other weekend to spend time with him.  One weekend, I ran over a curb just as I was getting into town and completely decimated my tire.  I mean, it was flat, flat, no salvaging there!  I managed to get my car to limp to a gas station where I sat for about 15 minutes, tire iron in hand, waiting for my then-boyfriend (now fiance) and his son come help me.  While standing there, not a single, solitary person stopped to ask me if I needed help or if something was wrong.  And several people walked by me while I was trying to take the lug nuts off!

The truth is, whatever we do in life we should do without expecting reward.  If we expect something in return, how can the action be pure of heart?  I can understand helping a stranded motorist with the hopes someone would stop for you but overall, we shouldn't expect anything.  As human beings, we need to be willing to assist and come to the aid of our fellow man without any strings attached.  Once we do something without expecting anything, it comes free of burden, of downfall, of anything that would take away from what that action means.  We need to become volunteers in life.  Volunteering to help people in any and all situations where we can offer assistance and not ask for any form of repayment.  To help simply because we want and need to help.

While the rain falls and patters gently against my window pane or perhaps the sun is streaming through your curtains, remain still for a moment.  Listen to the world around you.  I sit here writing this blog with our little dog, Molly, cuddled next to me.  The birds are singing into the window.  I feel so at peace with the world and ready for the day.  A day and a job where I help people all day long.  And then home for a quiet night with my fiance, my little dog and serenity.  Enjoy this day, be glad and remember to help your fellow man in this thing called, "La Vie."

No comments:

Post a Comment