Thursday, May 9, 2013

Princes and Princesses of the World

Artist's digital graphic rendition of the Disney princesses
if they lived.
In my generation, there is said to be an illness that all girls acquired by watching Disney movies.  It's the Disney Princess Syndrome or something similar.  What is this about?  This is about how girls around my age grew up with movies where the main woman was always a princess and always rescued.  No real harm ever came to them, simply threatening.  Some say that this perceived reality that my counterparts and I would have makes it impossible for us to have real expectations for relationships.  And I will admit, I have been naive in my relationships in the past.

By the way, I firmly believe I am NOT one of these girls!

But there is one princess that no one thinks about much anymore.  It is a princess I thought about yesterday and who's story was filled with imagination, fantasy and wonder.  It's Sara Crewe of A Little Princess.  This movie is one I have enjoyed, although I admit I have yet to read the book.  My favorite rendition has to be the film that came out in 1995.  Let me describe a little bit about the story so if you are not familiar with it, you might have a better understanding.

The 1995 film begins in India in 1914 with Sara and her father.  Her father finds out he needs to go back home in order to go to war (WWI).  While he is away, he beings his daughter Sara to the same girls' school that her mother attended.  Sara quickly becomes the favorite of all teachers and students, bringing jealousy on her head from other students.  She brings serenity and peace to some students who don't behave well.  Finally, the Headmaster, Ms. Minchin, throws her a lavish birthday party for her at the request of her father.  It is during this time that she learns Sara's father is reported dead.  She ends the party, sends everyone to their rooms and banishes Sara to the attic to become a servant.

In the attic, she lives with Becky, portrayed in this movie as an African-American girl.  Sara had tried to be friendly with Becky previously, but the difference in position didn't allow it.  Together, they perform the daily chores.  Sara never loses her love to stories and telling them nor her most cherished belief: all girls are princesses.  The most beautiful scene I remember is when they are told that come the next day, they will not be allowed any food.  They imagine a feast before they go to bed.  In the morning, they wake to lavish silks, flowers, a table dressing and filled with food, clothing among a few things.

I won't tell you everything because 1) it's been so long, I don't remember everything and 2) I wouldn't want to ruin it for you in the event you do want to see it!  The key here for this purpose is the belief held by Sara: all girls are princesses.  But how is this relevant in this day and age?  I think there is plenty of room for such an ideology.  Now, before you go pulling my own creed on me about feminism, hear me out!  Princes and princesses in the days of old would have been taught lessons of honor, language, overall education.  They had manners and feared shaming their families.  True, the balance between men and women was even more vast than now.  But with me watching ads and television programs with foul language, idolizing fighting and poor manners, I can't help but wonder: if we raised princes and princesses in manners and etiquette...how different would our world be?

That's all I have for now.  I have to go make my grocery list for tomorrow. Remember, in the event I forget to remind you, that this weekend in Mother's Day.  Remember your mom this weekend.  Better yet, remember her always.  She went through a lot for you, to bring you into the world and to help you get through life.  She deserves more than a day.  She deserves constant and continuous respect.  Until next time, I hope you enjoy this thing called, "La Vie."

No comments:

Post a Comment