Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Deer and Fireflies

This week is my late week at work.  I do not get home until ten at night daily, only to come home to a cooked dinner (or nearly cooked, depending on what's on the menu) and a couple of hours to ourselves before bed beckons to me.  It is hard to enjoy what is around you that late when all you can think of is what you need to get done.  The chores pile up as the day wears on.

Last night, however, I was made aware of things I would otherwise ignore.  I first passed by deer, two does to be specific.  What is significant about this is the fact that I spend the majority of my drive dreading seeing deer.  When I first moved to this area, I had hit a deer (see previous posting!) and had tried to avoid them like the plague.  But what it took from me is the beauty and amazement that the deer bring to my life.  Last night, these two does brought a little bit more peace and serenity into my life.

I pass a lot of fields on my drive, being in the countryside.  When you pass something repeatedly, you begin to ignore what it is you are going by.  Last night, I passed one such field, just prior to a well-lit area and my eye was immediately drawn to it.  Lights were flashing in the flied but these were not any lights made by electricity.  The field was filled with fireflies, shining in their lighting pattern to attract a mate, hoping to find their match.  I found it difficult to take my eyes off of such a sight.  I had never seen it before.

In these two examples, I had taken these simple things for granted or feared them, only to discover how much I was really missing.  It made me wonder how much I pass by everyday and miss in my life.  With all the wedding plans, one of the important things has to be photography.  My fiance and I will be too busy to take pictures ourselves, to capture those moments before we see one another that day.  So it was important when we spoke with our photographer to find someone who can capture those moments we want to cherish.  The moment he sees me coming down the aisle, the secret glances we give one another, the candid moment that create beauty in a moment.

Our photographer, Anthony V. Smith, has a photo journalistic style and this is what will give us what we desire from our wedding day.  And we should take this approach towards life as well.  Treat each moment as a secret glance from nature or something you can never recapture.  Those moments in life pass so quickly that, as soon as they are over, we are wishing we had them back.  I hope my fiance and I can get our friends' pictures and out photographer proofs and fall in love with the day anytime we view those moments together. In the meantime, our memories will serve as our cameras and our hearts will download the emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment