Monday, May 27, 2013

Remembering Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day for the United States, a day that many people are happy to celebrate.  Often times, it is for the wrong reasons that they look forward to it, a day off to relax and have cook-outs.  But the reasoning behind this day is more significant than that.  Today is designated to remember and commemorate those men and women who had died while serving for our country.  We had traditionally extended that to cover the entirety of our armed forces, with Veterans' Day being used to honor those who have served.

I have a man in my family that did his duty to his country.  Although he did not die during his service, the fact I could never have the opportunity to meet him saddens me.  It is my maternal grandfather, Harold McKeon, who served during the Second World War.  Passed away before I was a twinkle in my father's eye, my granddad was kept alive by the medals and awards my Nanna kept and the stories she told us.  I remember coming home from school and running upstairs, eager to know something new.  I would go to the bottom drawer of her dresser and see all the military honors my grandfather achieved and, one by one, take them out, asking my Nanna, "What was this for?"

I wish I had written the stories down.  I wish I could remember everything that she told me.  My Nanna has also passed away since I was a young girl, running up the three steps that separated our home from the apartment we built on for my grandmother to come live with us.  She had by then moved into an assisted living facility, the highlight of my Sundays.  And, although it hurt sometimes to see her advancing in age, I cherished every moment I had with her.  While she wasn't able to physically see me graduate college and won't be able to physically attend my wedding, I know she is smiling down on me, my grandfather by her side, along with all my relatives that have gone before me.

My maternal grandmother and grandfather...I wish I knew him... in Romance by Laura Jones
My Nanna and Granddad on their wedding
day.
My fiance and I do not have a chance to celebrate Memorial Day by having the day off.  We have to go to work.  But I am glad I can do this.  I work on a project that is meant and designed to assist those in our military in some of the most basic needs, to improve their quality of life.  I can also work towards helping myself grow and excel in my place of employment.  While others will be having fun, spending time with family and enjoying a day to relax, my fiance and I will be doing our civic duty.

If you are in the United States and have today off, please enjoy it.  But keep this in mind.  When you go to a restaurant or to the grocery store today or simply going for a walk maybe in your hometown, be aware of those businesses that are still open.  These are the people who are also sacrificing so you can better enjoy your day.  When interacting with them, try to keep that in mind if they are not the cheeriest.  Take it from someone who has had to work when everyone else has the day off: it is sometimes hard to be happy when it seems everyone else can relax.  Enjoy today.  If you are not celebrating Memorial Day, take a deep breath and celebrate what you can today: Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment