Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Passing Spring with Love Notes

I love a good, foggy morning!
Oh why does the weather torment me so?  Mother Nature, I need you to get on some hormones or something.  Your hot flashes and night sweats are simultaneously making me burn and freeze all the time!  I don't know how to dress, coat or no coat...please...go to Father Time's doctor's office and have him look over you.

I am so ready for spring to be here.  And I mean spring!  Not this Southern excuse-for-spring weather.  The weather where in the morning, it may be about 45 F and by mid-afternoon, a cool 65 F.  Where the fog lays heavy on the Earth and all seems still and pristine.  The dew collects on the petals of flowers and the world exhales slowly.  That is Spring.  When you feel as though the world could not get any more perfected.

Well, of course, my parents perfected it more by having moi!  Yes, there is much to look forward to during this time.  This is my favorite time to go for walks and enjoy nature, as is Fall.  The flowers are blooming, the birds are always singing, the world seems brighter.  It is the time of my birthday, which I love not because of the day but because of the time of year.  It is also the time of Love, new and old, rekindled and sparked.

My favorite thing about Love?  The romance.  The way someone can light up your world by the simplest of gestures.  To the same extent, someone is able to build up your hopes and dash them against a rock.  My favorite thing about my relationship with my fiancé?  The Love Notes.

Yes, we do the sappy, leave-each-other-notes thing.  Strange thing is, I love penning each letter as much as a enjoy receiving it.  If my fiancé elected to base my entire romance on the idea of writing me post-its or letters or cards, I would be happy.  It would be unlike the expression of Love I have ever experienced.  Afterall, what is writing but a forgotten art?

My fiancé has many times marvelled at how I can write this blog, while simultaneously asking if I have said any horrible things about him.  He knows the address, he can read it.  More importantly, I initially started this to help us communicate better.  A lot of the time, I find myself incapable of articulating how I may be feeling or what I may be thinking at a point in time.  In order to better express myself to him, as well as to relieve the stress of worry and contemplation I carry, I thought this would be a good way to nip it in the bud.  This is, therefore, an art form.

I remember being young and after receiving gifts, it was impressed upon myself and my two younger sisters to write thank you notes diligently to those who sent us presents.  I use to hate doing it, finding it bothersome and annoying, a waste of play time.  At the beginning of my engagement, however, I found myself consciously thinking about writing thank you notes.  I wish I got thank you notes.  Mind you, two of those notes are still awaiting addresses, but they are written!

When I was in about middle school, I remember fondly passing notes between classes with my friends.  Oh, how I loved getting a note!  I felt as though I was in a secret society.  This is why writing is so cherished, so loved by people like me.  This is why I adore my fiancé's Love Notes.  Every time I find one waiting for me, it is like a treasure on a piece of paper.  It is one of those things that is hard to let go, as I have no idea when I might get the next one.  I feel as a child on Christmas, waiting for Santa to bring her toys.  When all I really want...is a note from the man I love.

When was the last time you wrote words of endearment to a loved one?  Do you try to do it often?  Perhaps you should take some time and jot a note to your significant other about how much they mean to you.  I fear in this fast-paced world, we sometimes think those around us automatically know we appreciate them.  I know I want that to be acknowledged sometimes though as well.  It isn't enough to know you love me.  Tell me you love me.  Show me you love me.  Tell me your appreciate me.  Show me what I do is appreciated.

I firmly believe that we are all like children.  We want the approval of those around us.  We may be thinking we are OK to not audibly hear the approval, but deep down, the reassurance does wonders for us and makes us want to continue the praised behavior.  So write a Love Note, tell your loved one you appreciate them or simply go behind them, wrap them in your arms and tell them you don't ever want to let go.

Afterall...what is Life without a little Love?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment