Monday, April 1, 2013

On Eagle's Wings

Picture of my fiancé's tattoo
Oh man, to have to get up this morning and drag myself to work.  Fortunately, I am working the late shift...unfortunately, I am working the late shift.  Unfortunately, I also had to hear my fiancé tell me about an amazing breakfast he indulged in courtesy of his work....villains!

Yesterday called to mind the moments I loved about growing up in the Catholic faith.  We may have our quarrels now but there are some things of which I will never lose sight.  One of them being the hymns that I have sang, played (violin, bells, piano, etc), listened and loved over the span of my life.  One of my all time favorite hymns is one that is titled the same at this posting.  This hymn also came to mind based on the tattoo my fiancé just got a little over a week ago, with one of the verses this hymn is loosely based on inscribed into his arm.  He knows it is a favorite of mine.

This hymn is based loosely on Psalm 91, from a collection of protection psalms, as well as, you guessed it, Isaiah 40:31.  The first verse of this hymn is:

You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord
Who abide in His shadow for Light,
Say to the Lord, "My refuge,
My rock, in whom I trust!"
 
Refrain:
And He will raise you up on eagle's wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn,
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of His hand.
 

To think that these words signify the protection that God has over you has always been inspiring to me.  I think I also love this verse because my grandmother loved it as well.  I remember this hymn as being one that I heard the introduction music and starting smiling from ear to ear.  Do you have any music that has that effect on you?  It doesn't have to be religious in nature, perhaps it is secular.

I know when my fiancé and I were just dating, it seemed as though every time I would walk him to his car to leave my family's home, Hunter Hayes, "Wanted" would come on.  We would get really quiet and tears would well up in our eyes as we said farewell until the next weekend.  And so our relationship went, from weekend to weekend, not a weekday passed without numerous texts or at least one lengthy phone call.  I remember the first time I went to Virginia to meet my fiancé.  On Saturday, we were driving around, just finishing lunch, and a Raschal Flatts song came on.  He began to cry quietly, until I realized and asked what was wrong.  "I am already dreading the fact you have to leave tomorrow."

Those are the songs that touch us.  I know I find it difficult to sing in church because it brings up so many emotions and conflicts within myself.  It makes me reflect on my life and how askew it has been and how hard I am trying to remain on the path, my path.  I still find comfort in the last stanza of the hymn, On Eagle's Wings:

For to His angels He's given a command
To guard you in all of your ways;
Upon their hands they will bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
 
A reminder that no matter what faults I encounter or what I may do wrong, God is looking out for me and my well-being.  What more can anyone ask for?  I know, furthermore, that my fiancé, family and friends do the same every single day.  God puts people into our lives for a reason.  We may not see the reason now but someday, it will be very clear to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment