Thursday, April 4, 2013

Once Around the Color Wheel

Our world is so vibrant and beautiful.  But how much of that beauty do we really recognize and admire?  I am fortunate enough to have time in the mornings every other week to take me time in the morning, embrace the hours as they pass and enjoy the day as it slowly welcomes me.  How about you?  In your rushing about in the morning, do you ever stop to looking around, to smell the roses?
What about the colors that surround you?

Before I was at my present job (as little as 6 months ago), I worked at a sign fabrication shop for 2 years.  I will give you a moment to let that soak in....are you good?  OK.  Because I thought the same thing.  I had gotten done with college and had a summer job but at the end of the summer, I had no where to go.  A new retail company opened a month after that and I was offered a job.  Within 6 months (after having two jobs and letting one go), I was back to having two part time jobs.  One of them was at this sign company.  Over the course of two years, I was offered a full time position and the position began to evolve.  Before my departure to my current job, I was work in the vinyl department in the company.  I worked with different materials, colors and computer programs.  This caused me to think about the colors in the world around me.

I remember driving home one day and looking up at the sky.  That day, the sky wasn't light blue or dark blue.  It was Euro Blue, a vinyl color.  I realized then how much working with the vinyl had caused me to take a new appreciation for color around me.  As an artist, I am in love with color and this job had given me a new appreciation for color.
Walk in wildflowers!

When was the last time you picked up a crayon box and went through the crayons?  Or when you noticed and tried to actually name the color in the sky or in the grass?  These are things that we grow out of.  What once gave us, as children, such joy, we begin to notice does not give me as much zeal and we begin to take things for granted.  But how can we do this and continue to grow?  To move forward, we should remember where we have come from.

The next time you are in a rush, if you can, slow down.  Look around you.  Remember that the things around you are not just blue or green or gray.  Look at a bouquet of the same flower and you can see the differences.  In color, in form, in style.  Isn't that what makes them beautiful?  If everything was identical, where would be the excitement and curiosity in that?  Enjoy exploring your world and a thing called, "La Vie."

No comments:

Post a Comment