Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Vices Reversed

As human beings, we all face vices throughout our lives.  These vices may change over time and may come to impact who we are as individuals.  But to deny the presence of any vice is to deny a basic human nature.  Vices are depicted as something negative upon a person.  +Merriam-Webster defines "vice" in the 1c definition as, "a habitual and usually trivial defect of shortcoming."  With this definition in mind, the term "vice" can be extended to even the most basic of bad habits.

In a previous post, I have shared that I had a vice of food.  Food was how I made myself feel better, how I filled time when bored and other obstacles I had faced.  Alas, I wish this was the only vice I have had to battle, but there is another.  Happily, I am having great deal more success battling the latter.  World: I was a nail bitter.

Growing up, I had all the excuses for biting my nails. I play violin and nails will get in the way of playing, or, When I go horse riding (which was rarely), the nails will hurt the horse, or, I can't stop.  I actually successfully quit biting my nails for a month before I graduated from college.  Unfortunately, those big papers hit along with a few all-nighters and all that success went by the wayside.  A few weeks ago, I was presented with the opportunity to meet someone higher in the company.  Upon this information, I immediately looked at my hands and a resolve was developed.  I have not bitten my nails since.

Like any addiction (because I do believe both of these items qualify as an addiction for me), the risk of temptation is there and even more so given the nature of my vices.  We all have to eat and my nails are always present on my body.  It isn't like other addiction where I can cleanse myself of the temptation.  I keep my nails painted because if they aren't, the temptation is there even more than normal.

What is your vice with which you battle?  Perhaps you have not identified what you face everyday and that is perfectly normal.  As in any addiction, the first step is admitting you have a problem.  I have a problem with abusing the presence of food and biting my nails.  Once you see the problem, know the problem, it is easier to work to solving the problem.

Ironically, I work on a smoking cessation chat line and help people with addiction everyday.  I have picked up some suggestions that may help anyone, including myself:
-> Make a list of reasons to quit, goals once you quit and rewards along the way.  Keep this close at hand for whenever you experience the need to feed your vice/addiction.
No matter what it may be...
-> Find something to do to distract yourself from your craving.  I still need to work on this one but if your vice requires your hands, keeping your hands busy distracts from the vice.
-> Remember that this is not solved in one leap.  The battle of vice/addiction is fought day by day, not at the end of the journey.  Wake up every morning with the resolve to fight this day for your health, your peace of mind and your future.

Just three things to think about.  I am hopping offline so I might get ready for the day.  I might do something to keep myself distracted.  I hope you all have a wonderful day and enjoy a thing called, "La Vie."

No comments:

Post a Comment