Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Like a Flip of a Coin

Yesterday, everyone at work got excited.  It was announced that our center's definition of business casual was going to expand to include suchs items as jeans and shorts.  Provided, of course, that they are appropriate.  Everyone was a flutter.  No more slacks and khakis alone, collared shirts, we can wear leggings and long enough shirts, yipee!

But something inside me told me there was more to this announcement.

My suspicions were confirmed today.  Wednesdays I always work the late shift, allowing my colleague on a project with me time with her children.  When I came in, she greets me with, "Did you hear?  The whole center is going to a different schedule?"

As you can imagine, rumors were running rampant and taking over our day.  People were worried for their jobs, trying to make a decision that I had no information about.  Finally, near my lunch time, I was called in with the last group for the meeting.  At the head of the table sat three women.  They looked overall polite and I had seen them previously.  Then the bombshell was dropped:

"We are not as competitive as we once were," one started, "and after reviewing the information, we have discovered that we are not using our employees to full potential."  (In other words, we are wasting resources.)

And ultimatum was made.  10 volunteers needs to move to another department by the end of the day or else someone will volunteer some individuals to fill the remaining spaces.  As it stands, 4 of those spaces have yet to be filled.  My position will change as I will be taking on more work but I have been told I am needed for a project and they cannot lose any people.

I feel bad.  The stress level is up.  You get to wear your jeans but now you have to make a choice.  If these positions are not filled by full-tme employees currently, then those have a choice.  Just stressful and a down day...

No comments:

Post a Comment