Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hot Tea and Cold Snow


My cup of tea steeping in front of a snowy window
This morning when I woke to my husband moving around the room, he mentions he had received a text from my mom letting us know we need to be careful. He looked outside and saw nothing on the ground. Approximately 15 minutes later, he walks into the living room and I hear him exclaim about all the snow on the ground. Sure enough, the snow is covering the ground. I know my husband is wishing there was a snow day and he didn't have to go to work. But we all have our responsibilities that have to be fulfilled.

Me, I woke up to my chest hurting and a rattle. My cough is settling in. It skipped past the runny nose and congestion and went straight for the ringer: the chest. I stayed in bed longer than yesterday as I was not going to be walking today. When I did get up, I did some dishes (and counted them as exercise) and prepared for work. I settled in with a hot cup of Irish breakfast tea and chocolate chip muffins. And yes, I still have calories left for the day!

Yummy muffins
The topic? As I stare out the window at the snow softly falling, I have to wonder why I am not near as excited about seeing the snow as my husband is.  I know I love to watch it and observe it covering the ground. However, whenever I see snow or hear them forecasting for it, I cringe. All I can think of it is how I have to get to work and worrying about getting there. Why can't I enjoy the time off or relax? Why can't I enjoy a day with my cute puppies and hopefully having my husband spend it with me? I tell you what, if I did have the day off today, I would be settling back in between the warm sheets and hopefully shaking this rattle in my chest. Perhaps this state of mind is evidence of the time we live in. A time where we feel as though we have to work constantly. Perhaps it is a mindset we have to resolve. One day, I will love having a snow day. But today isn't that day.
One of my fluffy puppies, Fionna

But for the time being, I will enjoy the few hours I have left. I still have to get ready for work and do all the prep work. Lunch is already packed. I am going to place a heating pack on my neck and continue watching TV for now. Enjoying life one day at a time, one puppy kiss at a time and one loving look from my husband at a time. Until next time, I hope you enjoy this thing called La Vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment