Sunday, January 26, 2014

Back and Heart Pain

What a day! My poor husband pulled something in his back yesterday and woke up very early this morning in agony. I felt so bad. 5:30 AM and rubbing icy hot cream on his poor side, handing him some pain relief. Unfortunately, I awoke again to him telling me he never got back to sleep. We didn't go to church due to his pain but we worshiped in our own way.

We also went to Roanoke today to visit with my husband's family. We started our trip with a little ray of sunshine: my husband's goddaughter and her family. Her parents are amazing and she is our little ray of Sunshine. Just like our Little Man, Sunshine means everything to us. She can bring a smile to our faces and I love watching her mother light up. I hope we don't stay too far from Sunshine for too long. I hope to see her more regularly.

We then had dinner with my in-law family. My sister-in-law and her husband recently revealed that the will be moving to Ohio and taking my two little nieces with them. As you can probably imagine, this is a hard hit to the family particularly so since they have lived in close proximity to the family unit for the majority of their marriage. Tonight definitely had its moments but it had its laughter, tears and pain.

More than likely, the most valuable thing I learned today, though, was on the way home. We were near our home and deep in conversation when suddenly, I see two deer start to move into the road. I slam on the brakes, my husband bracing himself for impending impact while I hope my brakes take. We stop just in time, only for me to turn and, in my state of anxiety, say some harsh words to my husband. After some moments of silence, I turned and very quietly apologized. I explained that although I knew he was startled by the moment that his explanations did not help me when I was trying to maintain a calm demeanor. But then again, why do I always have to be calm?

The ocean is always seen as the epitome of soothing and calm nature and disposition. But even the ocean can become rocky and unpleasant to see. While it does not need to define me, I can't continue to hide my emotions for the sake of those around me. Even the calm Laura has emotions outside of joy. I let a little of that lose on Friday at work (not outwardly lashing but by demeanor).

A few notes in closing: Little Man, we miss you immensely. I know you are really enjoying your time with the Doctor but you need to know that your daddy and stepmom really love and miss you. We hold an open door for you at all times in our home and our hearts. Please know we are always there for you.

Sunshine, you and your parents are welcomed friends and family to us. It was so lovely to see you all and I hope we get to see you again very soon.

In-Laws: Thank you for such a lovely evening. Though it may have been laden with some sadness and a knowing of what is to come in a few short weeks, it was still sweet to share the time we have together as we did.

My husband: You do more for me than you may ever realize and know. I love you with all my heart and can't wait to share each and every day with you...including tomorrow morning's walk

But as for tonight....Hazelnut spread on toast!! And enjoying this thing called "La Vie."

No comments:

Post a Comment